Monday, September 2, 2013

Lecture 1: Introduction to Positive Psychology


The introductory lecture was not only informative but truly challenged my preconceived ideas of positive psychology. My understanding of this field is now grounded in the fact that it does not aim to replace psychopathology but promote and surface the positive attributes of individuals (e.g character strengths) by attempting to improve one’s overall well-being.

The overview of religious and philosophical interpretations of happiness proved to be a very interesting section of the lecture. The ‘compare and contrast’ layout made it easier for me to validate my existing perceptions of these perspectives and created a revised understanding of unknown ideas such as Aristotle’s virtue based eudaimonia, the self-discipline of Stoics, and the ‘simple pleasure’ approach of Epicureans. I realised that I personally relate to Divine Command Theory seeing as it is specific to my Christian roots in the morality that is guided by the obedience towards God and the well-being that is constructed on a life of purpose. The three theological virtues are essentially the foundation of my value system as I aim to express and attain happiness through faith, hope and charity (by displaying unconditional love).  Therefore, my sense of authentic happiness is built on the meaningful life (purpose and goal-driven factors) that is suggested by Seligman (2002) as opposed to the pleasant and/or good engaged life.

The self-fulfilment tendencies achieved by the concept of flow are practically emphasised when I’m absorbed in musical tasks (e.g singing, playing my violin) and other creative effortless activities. I have come to understand that it is the participation in these activities that contributes to aspects of my subjective well-being (SWB). Furthermore, seeing as SWB refers to the level of affect (everyday positive attributions) and life satisfaction (correlation between expectations and present conditions); I can easily say that it is my optimistic, extroverted, religious and relationship-dependent influences (also indicated by current research) that impede or encourage these two outcomes. I have understood that even though there are overlaps; there is a clear distinction between happiness, SWB and Quality of life (QOL); with the latter more focussed one’s perception of life in relation to the physical, psychological and socio-cultural features that influence one’s standards, concerns and expectations of themselves and the environment.  QOL is also very broad and holistic whereas; the former two concepts can be more specific. 



  
Seligman, M. (2002). Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment. New York: Free Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment