Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Lecture 4: Leisure and Peak Performance


During the initial aspects of the lecture, I had learnt that leisure is not necessarily a physical activity but the satisfying state of affairs during free time which are alternative to a work schedule. This clearly contributes to the subjective perceptions of one’s life satisfaction. Examples from Rogers (1976) and Argyle (1987) improved my understanding of people’s reasons for leisure activity. According to Argyle (1987) these reasons include: enjoyment of family life, relaxation, escape from routine and autonomy. I can understand how the first reason has been cited as the best predictor of leisure satisfaction because my social interactions are strong determinants of my well-being and free time choices.     

I have learnt that Csikszentmihalyi’s (1975) concept of flow is denoted by an ‘autopilot’ involvement in an activity (e.g religious rituals, playing sport) that results in a complete absorption in the moment. This accompanies a sense of complete yet effortless concentration that causes one to lose track of time as the lack of worry eases the merging of awareness and the activity at hand. I feel as though I’m able to slip in and out of this phase when I’m singing or doing something creative (e.g writing spoken word). As suggested by the conditions of flow; it is clearly the autotelic nature of the experience that causes me to become absorbed because I am not overly challenged; therefore, it requires no conscious effort but allows me to use my skill without getting bored. I also find that when I’m with my boyfriend, regardless of whether we’re talking or engaged in an enjoyable activity (e.g our band) we’re often in a state of flow together. Time seems to freeze but hours have gone by and it is as though we’re applying the principles of mindfulness (i.e being fully present in the here and now) but eventually transcending into that flow state where that initial attention is no needed.

My perception of the peak performance (PP) concept is that it is the actual behavioural activity that is enhanced, as opposed to the subjective experience involved in flow-like states. Therefore, PP involves conscious effort, focus and control over the task which could lead to mastery or crisis in achieving the intended outcomes. Of the conditions of PP described by Compton and Hoffman (2012) the self-confidence and optimism factor is the strongest determinant in my ability to reach that level of mastery through PP. The other conditions (e.g. energy level and awareness of my own body) are either enhanced or impeded by my perception of self, thereby affecting my sense of well-being through these experiences.




Argyle, M. (1987). The Psychology of Happiness. London: Methuen

Compton, W. C., & Hoffman, E. (2013). Positive Psychology The Science of Happiness and Flourishing. California: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.

Csikszentmihalyi,, M. (1975). Beyond Boredom and Anxiety: Experiencing Flow in Work and Play, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass

No comments:

Post a Comment